From:
Chandra Ruiz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jan 2006 20:37:30 -0700
Dear Breastfeeding Supporters,

As many of you know, in June of 2005 I was approached by a lifeguard
at a Chandler city pool in Arizona and told to nurse my child in the
restroom in the future.  I was completely covered the entire time I
nursed my then two month-old son, Aiden. Since that time I, along
with many other families, have successfully lobbied the Chandler and
Tempe City Councils to allow children the right to breastfeed in
places open to the public. The City of Tucson has since created a
similar ordinance and Flagstaff and Phoenix have been requested to
follow Chandler's lead.

While this started out at a city pool in Chandler and was taken up
with the Chandler City Council, mothers from across Arizona decided
to work together to take this issue to the state level. Our belief is
that the state must provide breastfeeding protection in the form of
an exemption to the indecent exposure statute and provide language
that allows mothers the right to breastfeed in places open to the
public.  Breastfeeding mothers are protected on federal property
already, and nearly forty other states provide protection too,
including all of Arizona's neighboring states.

My new friends and I will be taking turns baby-sitting each others'
children in order to attend hearings and provide input when necessary
during this legislative session. We plan to educate policy makers in
order ensure a compromise is made between bills and that the
appropriate legislation is passed. Our goal is for the governor to
sign a bill that provides the exemption to the indecent exposure law
and the protection to nurse in public.  We need lots of families to
attend these meetings.

I am proud to see my state continue the process that began at the
city level last year, and do the right thing by protecting Arizona's
families.  We are looking forward to taking part, either in person,
or from home through the Request to Speak Form. The state legislature
has made it simple for people to participate from home by watching
live hearings on a computer and participating through e-mail.  In
order to register for this capability each individual must sign up
one time by registering with the Request to Speak Form at a kiosk at
the state capitol. Once you complete the short registration process
you will have an assigned user name and password to use throughout
the session. I have organized a picnic for you to learn more about
how to sign up and you are invited!  Please join me and the other
Arizona mothers who are passionate about this issue and learn more
about how to get legislation passed this spring to protect breastfed
children.

Who's Invited:  Anyone who supports legislation that will protect a
woman's right to breastfeed in public and a child's right to eat in
public, regardless of the feeding method.  Bring friends!

What:  A Breastfeeding Legislation Picnic.

The bill we will be supporting provides an exemption in the indecent
exposure statute as well as language that will allow mothers the
right to breastfeed in places open to the public.

We will be sharing "Amy's Story" about how this whole process began
last summer.
We will explain how the process works at the state level when trying
to get laws passed.
We will assist people in signing up to speak from home at the kiosks
located inside the buildings.
Legislators who support our efforts will be stopping by to visit with
the families in attendance and will be extending their show of
support.
We will be passing out buttons for free to each family member that
attends this event.  These buttons are intended to be worn whenever
and wherever you feel it is appropriate to share the message about
breastfeeding protection; however, they are intended to be worn any
time you are at the capitol attending hearings on behalf of this
issue, etc.  (The buttons were paid for by families working closely
with me.  If you would like to make a donation for the cost of your
button you may do so, but please do not feel obligated.)
We will also be providing an informational flyer of helpful hints on
how you can participate in this exciting process!
Several vendors will have displays promoting natural parenting retail
items and services.
AND........there will be DOOR PRIZES too!
When: Tuesday, January 31, 2006 from 11:00 A.M. - 12:30 P.M.

Where:  The Senate lawn of the Arizona State Capitol located at 1700
West Washington, Phoenix, AZ 85007-2890

(Park at Wesley Bolin Plaza, walk across the street and look for the
families enjoying their lunch.  We will be wearing purple
breastfeeding buttons.)

Why: Mothers are told to either stop nursing, move to a more private
location such as a restroom or leave the premises when nursing in
public.  Nearly 40 other states have legislation revolving around a
mother's right to nurse in public. Arizona must be next!  We already
have protection on Federal property.  Not one more mother should feel
the need to comply with this demand to discontinue nursing for any
reason when in public.  Once legislation has passed in Arizona,
mothers will have the law on their side.  Mothers who breastfeed do
not breastfeed with the excuse to expose themselves. They make the
choice to breastfeed for personal reasons, usually due to the large
number of benefits to the mother's health, the child's health and the
benefits to society.  Please join us and bring your friends.  It will
be a fun day.

What to bring: Please feel free to bring your children to the
picnic.  Your children may make a new friend and maybe you will
too! ;-)  Bring a blanket or chairs to sit on.  And, don't forget to
pack your picnic basket full of yummy goodies for you and your
family.

Misc:  After we have all enjoyed our lunch, talked about the items
listed above, and answered any questions you may have, several
mothers will be stationing themselves at the kiosks located inside
the House and Senate buildings to assist you in signing up to speak
either in person or from home at the upcoming hearings.  Please take
a few moments to sign up at the kiosks.  This is crucial.  We must
pack the hearing rooms with mothers each time there is a hearing.
For families not able to attend in person, we must have many families
attending live via the web as well.

If you are unable to attend the event above, but would like more
information about it, please e-mail me at
[log in to unmask] Also, you can register to
speak anytime during normal working hours at the capitol.  Kiosks are
located on the ground level of the Senate building and the House
building. The security guards will be able to point you in the right
direction when you arrive.

For those who plan to participate via the web you will sign in at
home with your user name and password you received at the kiosk at
this web site http://alistrack.azleg.state.az.us/rts/login.asp. And,
be on the look-out for upcoming hearings. You can track the bills by
going to the ALIS Tracking site http://alistrack.azleg.state.az.us/ .
We will give out the bill number and other pertinent information at
the picnic. You must enter a user name and password for this system
too.  By tracking the bill, you will find out when hearings get
scheduled.  That way if you plan to attend, you will be able to
arrange for babysitting.  Or, if you plan to participate from home,
you'll be able to remind yourself when to log on to participate live
via the web. We need the turn-out of people at the hearings that we
had at the Chandler City Council meetings when this whole thing
started!

Don't delay, register today!

I invite those who are interested in this cause to contact me by e-
mail at [log in to unmask] to receive more
detailed explanations of how this process works or ask questions.  I
also invite you to view "Amy's Story," city-by-city updates and state
updates on the web site
http://www.healthyfoodhealthychildren.org/leg.htm.

Please send this information to anyone you know whom might be
interested in this cause.  Thank you everyone for your support!  We
could not do this without you. I thank you and our children thank you
too! Remember, it takes a village to raise our children!

Amy Milliron

--
Chandra
All Lactivists need stylin shirts!