From:
Chris Hafner-Eaton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Feb 2001 20:20:19 -0800
I nursed number one son until he self weaned at 2.5 years.  Relactated a 3
months later because he suffered a severe spiral fracture of his femur and
nothing but nursing eased the pain.  He weaned again just after his 3rd bday
in order to have bubble gum (I had this idea that no nursing child should be
able to have bubble gum).

Number two was an incredibly difficult baby to get onto the breast and
continued to suck in his upper lip until he weaned at 3.3 years.  He nursed
all the way through a pregnancy which was miscarried at 18 weeks (and
everyone in my family said it was because I was nursing).  He continued to
nurse through my pregnancy with number 3 son and weaned when #3 was about 2
months old.  All throughout the preg I kept asking if the milk was
changing...he said "nope."  I kept preparing him for a change and for the
"mommies" to be ready for the new baby.  He didn't seem phased, but was
irritated that I had to nurse the latest baby so frequently and that he had
to wait his turn (I wasn't into simultaneous tandem much but during the
times that they did both nurse, the older one would stroke the hair of my
younger one).

Number three is still nursing at 2.75 years and absolutely going strong in
spite of "don't offer, don't refuse."  He's a champion nurser, who never
sucked in his lips.  Interestingly, he was one of twins (his sister died at
about 20 weeks in utero).  He has survived me having major surgery and
almost dying of sepsis--plus all the meds that go along including
radioactive isotopes (I pumped and dumped).

I hope this helps.  Questions invited

--Chris Hafner-Eaton, PhD, MPH, CHES, IBCLC    [log in to unmask]
€€€INFANT CUISINE AND MOTHER CARE: LACTATION CONSULTING & PERINATAL CARE€€€
1807 NW Beca Ave., Corvallis, Oregon 97330
mom, wife, active UU church member, educator, lactation consultant,
homeschool mom, researcher, scientist, author, organic gardener,
photographer, wilderness adventurer, lapidary creator, lousy cleaner;)