Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Nov 2009 17:25:33 +0200
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (42 lines)
A person who irritates is a pain in the neck.... or a region at the other end of the spine.  
Perhaps she has a bee in her bonnet.

I was initially thinking of "fly in the ointment", but realise that's possibly the wrong connotation.  However it led me to think of how I always say that most of the local baby magazines (and perhaps those elsewhere) are very much like cookies made with a little manure.  There's a lot of good stuff in there too, but impossible to separate from the bad.

(Oh, I do like the Afrikaans phrase about "eating with long teeth" when something does not taste good)

Take the start of a recent article called "Healthy and Happy" (somewhat less cookie dough than usual in this recipe):

"It is well documented that breastfeeding is the best form of nutrition you can offer your newborn baby. This, however, is not always possible for new mothers due to a variety of reasons. A baby might not have been able to latch on to the breast soon after birth (the ideal scenario is within an hour of birth). There are a multitude of common complications that come with breastfeeding including unreliable milk production, persistently painful and cracked nipples from expressing milk, other medical complications or a mother may simply not be able to produce breast milk. Apart from the physiological challenges women may opt for bottle feeding as a practical necessity in order to return to work or as a personal preference. 

"Breast is best.   If you are one of the lucky mothers who are not suffering from stress or sleep deprivation and are producing enough milk, then breastfeeding is ideal for you. "

Whatever the point of the article, I never discovered it.  It was hard to get past the opener.

I too feel the way Marianne feels at times - that it might be easier to give in gracefully.   Then I have to wonder how bad it would be if none of us had ever been supporting breastfeeding.  Maybe I'm just running to stand still?  Beats sitting in front of the TV all day, though harder to turn off at night.

Best wishes

Jacquie Nutt IBCLC

South Africa

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2