From:
Judy Le Van Fram <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 May 2004 10:15:27 EDT
In a message dated 5/12/2004 10:00:06 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:
Details are sketchy but LC's here have been discussing a term baby born
recently with a skull fracture from the forceps delivery.
The baby is in NICU and being prevented from breastfeeding as its considered
the movement of the jaw and skull will affect healing.
We can't find anything in the archives or texts to support or dispute this
recommendation.
In addition to Pat's comment about the baby being tube fed or the bottle
would possibly cause the same healing challenge, I will say two things:
1. I think a bottle mightbe worse, since the baby often uses more pinching
and clamping and overall work with a bottle vs normal feeding at breast, I would
venture to say that more muscles are pulled in, and those muscles more tense
than when breastfeeding possibly as well.
2. If the baby is being tube fed, and offered nothing by mouth, since a
pacifier would also be ruled out, this is a baby who in weeks or months may be very
orally aversive, so whatever they are doing, they should know the longterm
potential fallout and try as best they can to help this baby normalize whatever
they can, as soon as they safely can.
Judy LeVan Fram, PT, IBCLC, Brooklyn, NY, USA