From:
Janet Simpson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Dec 1995 14:50:56 -0500
Hi All,

My question about this child is:
If she is healthy and happy and has doubled her weight, why is she diagnosed
as FTT?
I have known many people whose children just didn't get interested in solids
until well after their first birthday.
Seems to me that if the child is healthy, happy and otherwise fine, putting
her through a bunch of test will only traumatize her and make her and mom
miserable.
Offer the fingerfoods, and food off moms plate but don't force it.  Forcing
the issue will only discourage the baby from wanting solids for a longer
time.
I think you were right on target to dissuade mom from with holding BF.  That
would not be fair to the baby who is still obviously dependent on BF.
BTW, my youngest, 15 month old Ben, does enjoy solids, but enjoys his
"Nibbles" more.  He still BF 6-7 times per 24hrs, with HM being about 90% of
his diet.  Guess what?  He's happy, healthy and growing fine.
Children know when they are ready for solids.  Some beg for them at 4-5
months, others much later.  Follow the childs lead, is my opinion.
Jay

She who can't stand people trying to fix what ain't broke!