From:
Jo-Anne and Carlos <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Jul 2001 18:35:11 -0400
Wow... my voicemail from Betsey finally worked. I am so sorry my system
didn't allow me to benefit from her words before.
Betsey raised a good point when she asked how many women have entered or
stayed in the field of lactation largely because of Lactnet. I would
like to say that, although I started my studies before I subscribed -- I
heard about it, but waited until I was accredited to join -- Lactnet
certainly has played a huge part in my learning about breastfeeding. I
remember feeling that I didn't understand half of what I read, and would
read posts over and over again to try to "get" what was being said when
a study was criticized or various approaches were discussed. I must have
learned something, because now I read them with much more appreciation.
I think one of the best things it has given me is the sense that there
is a community out there. I have known for a while (since I started
going to meetings, anyway) that there is an LLL community, but I didn't
know it reached out its arms to so many other breastfeeding, and, I'm
ashamed to admit, I didn't think that there were so many hcps working in
the field who were so dedicated and passionate about their work... my
mistake, obviously, not theirs (although there was this one nurse in the
hospital when I ... just kidding).
And why would I want to work in a field in which people weren't
empathetic? Granted, there would be many more jobs to choose from, but
why bother?
Jo-Anne