Date:
Tue, 11 Sep 2007 15:26:03 -0400
Mardrey asked whether Nestle's new probiotic formula was subjected to the rigorous evaluation recommended by the Institute of Medicine's comprehensive guidelines. Probably not! However, I just emailed the FDA's Center for?Food Safety and Applied Nutrition (CFSAN) to ask that question. We will see if they respond. I also mentioned that the reconstitution labeling was not in accordance with the WHO recommendations regarding safely?reconstituting powdered infant formula. WHO recommends that the water temperature be greater than 158F (70C) to kill Enterobacter sakazakii bacteria should it be present in the powdered formula. Nestle's new probiotic formula says to reconstitute with water that is no warmer than 100F,?close to?body temperature. Water hotter than this will kill the live?bacteria put in the formula by the manufacturer who claims it will enhance the baby's immune system.

So, parents will reconstitute this potentially contaminated product with water that will not eliminate pathogens so the added live bacteria will be spared.

It is easy to send comments to the FDA should anyone wish to at:

?http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/qa-top.html

Marsha Walker, RN, IBCLC
Weston, MA