Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (27 lines)
Heather mentions the plight of one poor baby being raised a la Ezzo,

<< This was a mother of a baby aged 12 weeks, who was feeding 4-5 times
a day - regularly going 12 hours and sometimes 14 (yes, 14) hours at
night.>>

whose last feed was usually 4:30 pm and not fed again until about 6:30 am.  Yikes!!! Poor baby!  How did this mother do this?  Don't most babies usually have their fussy period (if they're going to have one) in the evening?  Seems like that's when I nursed my kids the *most*!  If this baby were here
in the U.S., given that babies that age should still be eating about twice as often as hers does, denying that many feeds borders on (if not plants itself squarely in the arena of) child neglect.  She must have a great storage capacity for his weight not to have dropped off the bottom of the charts
already!  I'm not a stickler for "those charts" either but they do serve a purpose and I would think dropping from the 98th to the 30th percentile would be a red flag for the ped.  Sounds rather like feeding a child one meal a day.  You might be able to keep them alive that way, but probably not
forever and there will be other health consequences of the underfeeding.  What do some of the docs on the list say?  No surprise that mom is probably dropping her milk supply.  I would think baby will drop still further down those charts in that case.

Marsha, who wouldn't have wanted to live in that household for the last 3 months!

Marsha Glass RN, BSN, IBCLC ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mothers have as powerful an influence over the welfare of future generations as all other earthly causes combined.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~John S. C. Abbot~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2