Date:
Wed, 5 May 1999 13:46:46 EDT
Cathy said,
<< Interesting that in the UK things don't seem to be as polarized into these
 various "labelled parenting" styles. I think that this is probably a good
 thing. I feel at an advantage myself in being "old" - well, in comparison to
 new parents! - and past the stage in life where I get so caught up in all
 these different labels and styles. >>

I don't think there WERE labels until Ezzo came along and defined PDF as THE
way to parent, and "demand feeding or attachment parenting" as bad for
babies.  There have always been Ezzo-style parents (long before Ezzo was
born) -- look at the UK and think of the Truby King babies who were fed 5
times a day and never at night back in the late 1800/early 1900's.  Or the
mothers who followed and believed John Watson & Emmett Holt.  But things
didn't really get polarized until Ezzo came along and polarized it.  There
were no division in churches, among friends and among families until the
advent of Prep for Parenting, GKGW, etc.  Now it is an issue in which people
who don't follow Ezzo can be booted from a church, or a family, or from a
friendship with those who follows Ezzo.    Yes, Sears discussed slings and
such early on, but there are no rules to attachment parenting.  You can
attachment parent without co-sleeping and slings - you can even AP without
breastfeeding.  Though it certainly is easier if you DO breastfeed.

I'd be interested in seeing what the consequences are in adults who were
schedule fed -- with all the ramifications of that type of parenting
behavior...and if there are any perceived differences in those who were
"attachment -- or, as Cathy put it, "regular" parented."

Jan Barger