From:
Kika Baeza <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Mar 2004 19:48:50 -0500
Hello,

I would like to ask a question to those of you who have experience in lecturing about brestfeeding. I have to give a three hour lecture to a very
heterogeneos group - hospital OBs, peds, nurses and nurse assistants, neonatal critical care nurses and peds, and primary care nurses and
peds. All together. Their level of knowledge about breastfeeding is low.

The problem is that three hours is too short a time and I dont know how to optimize it. I was thinking about giving basic breast and infant oral
anatomy, evaluation of positioning, latch and milk transfer, on demand feeding, how to counsel a mother in the first days after birth. But just
talking about those very very basic things will not fill three hours and then I think about sooo many other things that I should tell them about and I
can fill ten hours straight.

So, in your opinion, what should I tell these people, such an heterogeneous group, in three hours? What would you put in and waht would you
take out? For instance, should I devote time to speaking about breastfeeding the preterm when only a few of those attending work with preemies?

Input will be appreciated.

Kika Baeza
Family doc in Spain, IBCLC2B hopefully in 2004

Who last week went on a pilgrimage to pray for the victims of the terrorist attack in Madrid. We went to beautiful, ages old Santiago de
Compostela.In the cathedral I breastfed my 5 month old Teresa and felt at peace and one with all the breastfeeding mothers who through the ages
probably sat at the base of the same column I did, doing the same thing I mas doing.