From:
Barbara Berges <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Nov 2002 09:07:42 -0500
Gayle said:  "Baby had been nursing for 10 to 15 minutes every two hours,
but now will nurse for 5 max but wants to nurse every hour....mom spoke with
another consultant who said that baby doesn't know how to recognize when his
stomach is full.  She had her pumping and feeding him by bottle so that she
can control how much he takes.   She gets a letdown pretty quick and milk
flows for about 5 minutes and then stops.  She continues to pump, but the
next letdown doesn't come for 15 minutes.  She said, "my milk is coming,
just like the baby was nursing."

Maybe it is the other way around --the baby is nursing this way because the
milk is coming this way.  Maybe we have a smart baby who adapted his
behavior to maximize his intake.

On the other hand, the previous suggestion to have the mom pump and bottle
feed to see how much he will take, etc. is what I consider to be one of the
most destructive things to do to breastfeeding.  Now the mom is questioning
her ability to produce for her baby and the Dad is "ready to reach for the
bottle and get it over with".

Here's a suggestion:  When the baby stops suckling after 5 minutes, try
having her change the diaper, rock the baby, get herself a drink of water,
and then sit down to BF again on the same side.  This brief interruption and
fresh start might get a new letdown and get her body into a mode of more
frequent letdown.

Barbara Berges  BS, RN, IBCLC
Rochester, New York