From:
Leslie Cree <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Jul 2005 09:23:27 -0400
Hello. I have been a subscriber for a couple of weeks and am just now
posting my intro. I am studying to take the IBCLC exam and volunteer with
Nursing Mothers Counselors (Harrisburg PA area). I have been involved in
peer counseling for about eight years and this is my second group
affiliation, having moved within the last two years. I have two children,
ages 9 and 6. They weaned at ages 5 and 1/2 and 4 1/2, with about three
years of tandem nursing. I am enjoying being a part of this community,
learning so much and now hope its okay to add. Re: the post about the
mother with 5 children and continuing nipple pain. Could thrush be the
cause? Also, since she had this experience with previous infants--
vasospasm? Has she mentioned nipple blanching? Burning pain?  Also,
regarding the post about having a peer counselor position to help the LC's
in hospital. I don't think that it would necessarily undercut the LC for a
couple of reasons. The trained peer counselor can visit mothers to provide
accurate information and anticipatory guidance while also screening
mothers who may need more intervention. The LC can then visit those
mothers at higher risk and maximize her time. Also, having the peer
counselor visit low risk mothers conceivably could free up time for the LC
to engage in staff education and more long-range planning (goals such as
Baby Friendly designation or something).