Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Jun 2000 10:22:25 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (13 lines)
Since no one else mentioned it, I guess I will add something to this discussion.  A few years ago, at an ILCA conference, a researcher gave a very interesting presentation on these two hormones.  She showed that it was oxytocin that made mothers motherly.  Prolactin is basically near baseline around three months of age, so is not much of a mothering hormone long term.  Whereas, oxytocin is spiked with each nursing and many other times.  If need be, I could find my syllabus and give the researcher's name.  I think there was also an article in a past JHL on this subject.

Terriann Shell, in beautiful, sunny Big Lake, Alaska
Where a moose cow and her very newborn calf walked behind my house at 3:30 a.m., rousing all my sled dogs and waking me up.  The moose must have know I was watching because she stopped walking and the calf ran up to nurse!  It was still light out, so then I couldn't go back to sleep.

Did you know... that a baby squirrel consumes approx. 20% of it's own body weight in mother's milk in 24 hours.  The things you learn in unexpected places!

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2