From:
Royce Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Mar 2007 15:06:24 -0500
Karyn-grace states "NOT everyone sitting for the IBLCE exam is passionate
about breastfeeding.  I'm sorry if that sounds inflammatory - I do not mean
it to.  It's just that experience has shown me (in talking with many other
IBCLC's and hcp who do breastfeeding work) that for some hcp's, the IBCLC
designation is just that:  A designation. Not necessarily a passion or a
calling.  Just an addition of education and knowledge.  Not necessarily
practice."

Well, guys, I said I was off my soapbox, but I guess I lied about that! :-)
I agree with you, Karyn-grace, I know several RN, IBCLC's that are NOT
nearly as passionate as I. They will say, "Oh, whatever mom wants, if she
wants to pump & bof that's OK with me", or "Oh well, she's changed her mind,
BRF's just not for her."  That kind of thinking makes me CRINGE!

I do hope that a compromise can be made and a good SOP will surface that
will accommodate both HCP's with IBCLC credentials and the IBCLC that is not
an HCP. We are for the most part in it for the same reason. I don't know
that IBLCE has made it "easier on the HCP" to obtain an IBCLC, but it is
easier for a person with higher degrees in education and you most definitely
need to have mom/baby experience which I had from the nursing profession.

Royce Anderson, RN, IBCLC, RLC, CD (DONA)
An RN that IS passionate about breastfeeding!