Date:
Fri, 26 Jun 1998 21:48:18 -0600
To  : Diane W.
Re  : Maternal Prednisone

Unless the dose of prednisone is exceptionally high (> 80 mg/day) and for a
long duration (weeks),  it is not necessary to wean an infant. First, the
amount transferred via milk is quite small (< 0.1% of dose).  Secondly,
remember that the most damaging effect on an infant (shortened bone growth,
water retention, etc) require longer exposures than just a few days.

To  : Julius
Re  : Gentian Violet

While it is true that a pharmacist can mix gentian violet from powder in
water,  I'm not sure you'll fine many that want to.  First, every little
whisper of dust settles on the counter top,  then proceeds to stain
everything in existence.  Purple spots would be showing up for years. I
don't think I'd do it for the few bucks one would charge.

Further, I doubt the small amount of alcohol(10%) would be irritating to the
mucosa, unless it is really irritated, and then only briefly. Remember,
Listerine has 25% alcohol(which may account for its popularity).  Easier,
would be to take the GV bottle, pour out half and then reconstitute it with
distilled water to make it 5% alcohol.

Regards

Tom Hale
Third generation medicine mixer.