From:
Cathy Liles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Feb 2001 14:31:58 -0600
IMHO, we should look at the baby instead of the calendar to determine
whether an exclusively breastfed baby at 5, 6, 7... 10,11,12...15, 16, 17
months needs other foods. Is the child developmentally ready? Is the child
healthy? Is the child continuing to grow well? Has the baby been offered
other appropriate foods? Is there any indication of a micronutrient
deficiency? Is the baby active? Is the baby happy? As long as the baby
looks goods and no needs are identified, why force the addition of other
foods. For the rare baby who has difficulty chewing and swallowing, early
start of food may demonstrate a need earlier, but won't necessarily
ameliorate the unlying problem. In a child with allegies or metabolic
problems introduction of other foods may cause problems. If we look at the
recommended dietary allowances for a toddler, it can certainly be met with
human milk in terms of calories, fats, proteins and carbohydrates.  There
may be some need for micronutrients, but demonstration of a deficiency
prior to supplementation I am familiar with many children who did not care
to eat other food for 12-18 months while continuing to breastfeed
exclusively and they have all grown up to be good healthy school age kids
who have healthy appetites and eat a wide variety of healthy and not so
healthy foods. Cathy Liles