From:
Karen Pogge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 May 2006 13:34:15 -0400
I wanted to second what Laurie said about the inaccuracy and
inappropriateness of weighing babies with any clothing on.  I actually
just went through this with my own baby, who is small compared to her
sisters and has been growing happily on the "slow" end of normal for
months.  At a sick visit, unbeknownst to me, it appears she was weighed
with clothes on.  At her next well visit it appeared that she had lost
weight, and after having another visit before that where her weight gain
had been questionable (following a gastrointestinal illness), we were very
concerned.  Luckily my husband, upon questioning, thought he remembered
that she had been dressed when the nurse weighed her; still, we suffered
needless worry and extra visits to check her weight after this to reassure
us all.  Now, I am an experienced mother, doctor, LLLL, and I knew she was
okay - looked great, nursing great, diaper counts great - but the numbers
fooled me.  Please undress the babies to weigh them!

Karen Pogge, MD, LLLL
(who rarely posts because someone is always nursing and does not like the
sound of the keyboard clickity-clacking