Date:
Wed, 29 Mar 2000 20:37:20 EST
In a message dated 3/28/0 2:08:11 PM, Gail writes:

<< Let's see if we can come up with some criteria for definition or
description
of this entity........How about seeing what we can come up with when we try
to complete this sentence:.....Nipple confusion can be said to exist
when....>>

ok, how about this:

Nipple confusion can be said to exist when, a baby who previously
demonstrated effective breastfeeding, and who is then fed one or more times
with an artificial nipple, subsequently exhibits ineffective breastfeeding
that can be characterized as the baby having a shallow latch and/or
tight-lipped mouth with jaw clenching and/or tongue thrusting.

As opposed to *Artificial Nipple Preference*:

Artificial nipple preference can be said to exist when, a baby who has been
initially fed with an artificial nipple, can demonstrate effective
breastfeeding latch, but quickly refuses breastfeeding, or, a baby who
previously demonstrated effective breastfeeding, who is then fed one or more
times with an artificial nipple, is subsequently not confused at all, he
knows exactly which nipple has the easier and faster flow. The term
"easy/fast flow preference" may be more accurate.

Note: regarding "not confused at all", I first heard JoAnne Scott use this
phrase in her prenatal bf classes to expectant parents.

Debbie Tobin
RN BSN IBCLC LCCE
Springfield, Virginia USA
In the suburbs outside the Washington DC beltway