Date:
Fri, 20 Mar 1998 18:05:50 +0000
Bromocriptine is still on the market.  What has happened is that the
indication to dry up milk has been removed.  It can still be used to
treat hyperprolactinemia, parkinson's disease, and a few other things,
I think.  Even with the indication removed, a drug can be used for
which it is not indicated, at least in Canada, *for a reasonable
reason*.  "Indications" simply mean the drug has been approved for
that use.  What it is approved for depends on what the company asks
that it be approved for.  Thus, you will probably see that
metoclopramide (Reglan, Maxeran) does not include, in its indications
"enhance milk supply", but it can still be used for that reason if the
prescribing physician believes it is a good thing to do.

If that is not clear, I'm sorry, but the mind has gone. (It's been one
of those days).

Jack Newman, MD, FRCPC