From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Apr 2003 18:29:56 +0200
I didn't get to read my e-mail before going to work, nor while there.  But I
am going in again tomorrow and will take along the new ideas you have given
me.  Can't wait to try the chilled finger technique!

Milk is flowing, mother can pump 140 ml (over 4 oz.) in less than 15 minutes
today.
Baby is starting to gain weight, very convincingly, and is content to be
getting fed by cup.  Mother tried finger feeding today after attempts to
latch at breast were unsuccessful due to baby crying, and baby loved it.
Mother thought it was good too.  She could feel what baby's tongue was
doing, and how it changed.  My estimation of the baby's distress level makes
me want to proceed cautiously here and not expect huge leaps in one feeding.
It seems to me baby had started expecting milk to just run into her mouth
and didn't quite see the point of latching.  She certainly got it, by finger
feeding.  Eyes wider and rounder, then narrower and narrower til she fell
asleep at the end of the feed.

We can't get super thin shields here, nor rounded bottle teats AFAIK, so
finger feeding plus these tricks of the trade to get tongue forward will be
our mainstay for now.  Mother is pleased at the progress being made.  Her
own mother experienced something very similar with her and didn't manage to
BF for long, and she is determined to make the best of whatever help she can
get.  A pleasure to work with.

A few words about the ban on letting babies suck on our fingers: this is in
response to a habit that was getting out of hand, of offering restless
babies our finger to suck on rather than taking them in to mother, if we
were minding them for a short time, esp. at night.  It was also used to calm
them during pediatrician's checks.  Not very appetizing for a mother to see
us doing it, and not really what the baby was asking for either.  If I
explain why I sometimes may need to do it, I think I will be exempted from
the general rule.  Talked with our head pediatrician today, who has
completely stopped sticking his fingers into babies' mouths to elicit a suck
or bite reflex during the newborn physical exam, because he feels it
accomplishes nothing and is invasive to the baby.  I agree with him about
removing it from the routine exam as long as baby is feeding well.  If it
ain't broke, etc.  But for assessment of problems it would be useful to do.

A visual examination of baby's mouth seems to show a bubble palate.  But
mother has soft enough breasts that I don't think this will be a problem
once the tongue comes forward.

Thanks again to all who have written.  More updates as things develop.
Rachel Myr
Kristiansand, Norway