From:
Eva Bild <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Apr 2007 11:08:24 -0700
I have often wondered if the reason people don't mind seeing a breast on
a billboard or at the beach is that nothing is coming OUT of it!
I did a survey of attitudes to BF in public for the breastfeeding
counselor's course I took years ago in Victoria, British Columbia.
The public place in which people were most likely to find breastfeeding
"inappropriate" was a restaurant or coffee shop.
A church or temple or cinema or theatre or park was considered more
"appropriate".
The MOST appropriate place was a public washroom!!!!  (And we all know
how we breastfeeding advocates feel about THAT suggestion!)
My hunch is that breastMILK is classified (subconsciously of course)
with all the other substances that come out of the human body and is
found "disgusting" which is why it is less appropriate in an eating
place than anywhere else.
The discomfort people express about human milk and its consumption by
adults (jokes about Dads putting it in their coffee for example) makes
me think there is a strong taboo about it, that while we believe it is a
pure substance for babies, we feel (and I re-iterate that this is NOT
conscious) that it is IMpure for older children and adults.
What do the rest of you who work with milk and breasts think about this?

Eva Bild

Eva Bild, MA, CD (DONA)
Certified Doula, Childbirth Educator, Breastfeeding Counsellor
Mothering Touch Centre
1562 Fort Street
Victoria, BC
250-595-4905