From:
Sharon Knorr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Oct 2002 22:03:20 -0400
Dear Roni,

How wonderful!  I think that an important message for you to get across is that the moms they work with will be looking to them very strongly for direction.  If they really want to take care of breastfed babies then they need to be very sweetly direct about the messages they send - that formula is not a good substitue for breastmilk.  They need to get informed about breastfeeding themselves and consider becoming IBCLCs as a way of furthering their own education in this most important area of child health.  If they do not want to develop that kind of expertise in breastfeeding, then they need to know to whom they can refer when their clients are running into problems.  In my opinion, it is the mixed messages that moms receive constantly from their hcp's that contributes very strongly to the fact that so few babies are breastfed for more than a few days or weeks.  If doctors were as direct with their messages about breastfeeding as they are about vaccinations, sleeping positions or car seats, then I think we might begin to see a real sea change come about.  Talk about the guilt thing and how bogus that is.  Too tired right now to come up with anything very literate, but check the archives for some good stuff along these lines.  Doesn't need to be long and drawn out, but make the important points - turn on some light bulbs.  Good luck.

Warmly,
Sharon Knorr, BSMT, ASCP, IBCLC
Newark, NY (near Rochester on Lake Ontario)
mailto:[log in to unmask]