From:
Nikki Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Sep 2016 15:50:38 -0400
Dear Lactnet Friends:

Thank you Pat Young, for sharing all these gems with us.

Medical Officer got it so right!!!!

"The primary needs of the infant are support, warmth and nourishment.
These are naturally supplied by the mother without the help from anyone or
anything else. Their dispensation gives emotional satisfaction to both the
mother and the infant; so why should we interfere with it? We can give the
infant the support of the cot, the warmth of an electric blanket, and the
nourishment of a chemical concoction. These may serve; but they are not so
good as what a mother can supply, and they give her no satisfaction.  The
separation is not sound physiology. That this has serious results should be
obvious also...There seems to be no doubt that anything which separates the
mother and infant, or interferes with her desire to possess her baby,
inhibits lactation.  Some years ago when the question of feeding the baby
around the clock came up for reconsideration, it dawned on us that if the
mother did not feed the baby when she wanted to do so, and the baby was not
feed when he wanted to be, the whole milk business got out of gear.
Physiological rhythms, timing and coordination have to develop and cannot
be forced. The baby is the only person who knows what he wants, so we must
learn from him, not dictate to him; and the person most able to understand
his expressions is mother."

​There are no substitutes for the biologic template.

warmly,​

--
Nikki Lee RN, BSN, Mother of 2, MS, IBCLC, CCE, CIMI, ANLC, CKC
Author:* Complementary and Alternative Medicine in Breastfeeding Therapy*
www.nikkileehealth.com
https://www.facebook.com/nikkileehealth

*Get my FREE webinar series*