From:
Chris Hafner-Eaton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Mar 2000 16:04:25 -0800
Hi Magda:  Thanks for sharing that great piece on growth monitoring...I just
want to gently and kindly point out that there are several of those
"professorial" types on Lactnet (believe it or not).  We really do try hard
to spread the word in the research community and need the support of all
practicing LCs and bf supporters.  As a Amer. Public Health Assoc. Medical
Care section governing councilor, I had to publicly critique, respond and
vote on policy being adopted by the APHA.  It was shocking to me that after
several hearings, practitioners (some midwives, obs, peds, IBCLCs) came up
to me and said "WHERE DID YOU COME FROM???  We've never had anyone so
<progressive>, <liberal>, <informed about MCH> <<fill in the blank>>"  These
votes were on issues of the use of midwives, breastfeeding and infectious
diseases, employers and bf, etc.  I have to say that the assumption was that
because I was there as a research academic (they didn't realize that I had a
private practice), that my head was in the sand (or somewhere even darker).

So please DO write Dr. Davies a fan note...I'm sure he will really
appreciate it.

Chris Hafner-Eaton, PhD, MPH, CHES, IBCLC    [log in to unmask]
mom, wife, educator, lactation consultant, researcher, scientist, author,
organic gardener, photographer, lapidary creator, lousy cleaner.