From:
Jennifer Sokolow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Jan 2009 14:45:02 -0500
Jennifer,

I apologize if my previous post over-generalized. I fully admit that I
do not know enough to know whether allergies on the rise or not. In re-
thinking this, what I really meant was that pairing nebulous symptoms
with a vague recollection of what mom may have eaten earlier in the
day is a shaky basis for diagnosing allergies. Without keeping a
detailed food and symptom log, without analysis from an expert such as
yourself, without assessing & factoring in any physiological issues of
mother or baby such as TT or OAMER, without looking at whether mother
is nursing on cue or using a schedule, how is the pediatrician
determining that the baby has allergies to something in the mother's
milk? What is the doctor's "evidenced-based practice" here?

After I read your post, it occurred to me that we probably have a
situation in the US where allergies are both over- and under-diagnosed
at the same time. The baby is taken off the breast and given formula
because of "allergies" to his mother's milk, but later that same child
(and adult) is considered "normal" in spite of having problems like
reflux, eczema, constipation or diarrhea, food aversions, etc. etc.
and is given all sorts of medications without anyone's recognizing
allergies as the underlying cause. Also, I think the word "allergy" is
being overused and misused in our society, which makes it harder and
harder for various people to understand each other because it means
different things to different people, and ultimately the word becomes
meaningless. (Kind of like "natural childbirth" which in my area, at
least, now simply means "not cesarean.")

Finally, I still think Pat's original point holds true, that the first
reaction in many circles is to blame the mother's milk and look no
further. Even (especially) in situations of true allergies,
substituting formula and making the mother feel as though she has
failed and her milk is "bad" for her baby does nothing to solve the
problem. Though of course you are one of the ones on the front lines
of trying to change this situation and helping many mothers and babies
overcome the obstacle of allergies without discontinuing BF.

And now, after making two such long posts, I shall go back to lurking
and learning and feeling lucky to have so many experts sharing their
knowledge on this list. And wondering how, even if I do become an
IBCLC someday, I can live up to the legacy of all of you who have gone
before me! :-)

Respectfully and gratefully,

Jennifer (Long Island, New York)