From:
Lucy Towbin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Nov 2006 08:27:00 -0600
Marsha,

I hope you sent information on your experience to IBLCE.  As much as I
hate the fact that so many decisions are made in this country because of
fear of being sued, it is a reality. Someone writing them using all of
the legal terminology may be helpful in enabling them to see the light.

Lucy Towbin, MSW, LCSW, IBCLC

Marsha said " Our duty  and
obligation is to the patient (mother and baby), called  fidelity, not to
who
employs us or who we work with. Otherwise a conflict  of interest is
created
between the interests of the patient and the competing  interests. These
new
standards have bypassed the ethical underpinnings of our  profession:
beneficence
and veracity (the moral obligation to provide complete  and accurate
information) and non-maleficence (the obligation to avoid physical  or
mental harm to
the patient). Non-maleficence also includes the obligation of  not
imposing the
RISKS for harm, which these new Standards if Practice clearly  do. This
ethical dilemma places us in a moral and legal bind right now. It
matters greatly
what those standards say and muzzling the LC with restrictive  language
cripples our ability to discharge our obligation to the mothers and
babies
entrusted to our care. It puts us in legal jeopardy as it pits one set
of  documents
against the other (IBLCE standards vs ILCA standards). The lawyers in
the
above case would have had a field day with this."