Date:
Tue, 24 Nov 2009 12:59:00 -0500
I may need to clarify our use of Sweetease during heel sticks....for almost all lab draws babies have their blood drawn at bedside.
Blood cultures are done in nursery but Mothers or Dads are encouraged to observe through the window next to stabilet where the RN or MD draw the blood.
There are Moms who don't want to see any thing done to their babies and these Moms usually will stay in room while baby goes to nursery.
When Moms request no bottles or pacifiers gloved fingers are substitued. All Sweetease is administered with oral syringes. Amount used is noted and there is a limit in our protocol how much can be used. This is charted in the newborn notes.
We use the layering effect of Pacifier or sucking with sucrose and then Lidocaine 1% for circs.
There is an order for Tylenol gtts every 6 hrs for 24 hrs if parents request. As with all meds this is calculated with baby's birth weight in Grams. Medication is scanned and double scanned by two RNs.  Sweetease is considered a comfort measure not medication.
I am always amazed and do chart how Mothers receive their infants back after a procedure. Mom offers comfort with breast and cuddling, Mom cries, Baby in bed swaddled with or without pacifier etc.  Some women are instinctive to pick up and soothe baby and others are intimidated by the procedure. Some refuse to care for circ and have spouse or support person or RN do diaper changes. We teach and encourage and advise parents prior to procedure, they have a statement from AAP on circ to read and they sign an operative consent and initial they both parents have read the AAP statement.  If Mom continues to refuse to learn circ care we chart and report to MD and Social Worker on unit. Mom is told she is ultimately responsible for care of child so she must know how to care and do care so there is no infection.
Rarely do we have someone after the first few diaper changes who continues to hesitate in caring for baby.
Occasionally we have Mom's who decline sucrose for heelsticks and the only mandatory bottle use is for the VUCG (voiding urethral cystogram)...we can use EBM if we have enough and if not we use sterile water to dilute what we have.  And as in all places there are Mothers who really don't request Breast only.
We have many who feel if baby is sucking on hands and cries and has been to breast once he is hungry she doesn't have enough milk so give some formula.  We have a policy to go to breast a second time and then if parents continue to request formula we don't give greater than 15ml.
As with every new baby we spend most of our day educating parents in what is normal behavior and encourage the baby care class. They get a lovely book which I refer to Clifff Notes on Baby Care.  We print it in English and Spanish. Do the parents read it...well that's another issue.
I hope we all realize that there are many ways to help alleviate pain.
Leanne Jewell RN-BC, IBCLC, LCCE,FACCE
S Florida