Date:
Tue, 22 Jun 1999 07:41:15 +0300
We have a collodian baby in the NICU who is 3 weeks old and the only
thing which is hindering her release is that she is unable to suck.  She
has "fish mouth" and will not grasp onto a bottle and suck.  The mom did
not even attempt breastfeeding, which I think is a shame since this baby
may have managed  a mouthful of breast.
Do any of you wise ones have any experience with such babies?  For some
reason, this has fallen into my lap and I have to find a way to get her
to eat.  It has to be easy, because this mom doesn't have patience for
syringes or anything out of the ordinary.  I have ordered a Haberman to
try with her.  Any other ideas?  So far, I have   only been asked to
take this on.  I haven't done any assessments.  I will make this my
project for tomorrow, so if any of you have any info, I would greatly
appreciate it!! I have no other details since this was thrown at me as I
was on my way out the door yesterday.
I only know that she refuses to swallow, and they have found no
obstructions to explain this.
Esther Grunis, IBCLC
Tel Aviv, Israel