From:
Fiona Coombes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Nov 1995 14:01:00 GMT
Two brief observations about recent discussions.
Firstly, my second child (aged 5) has recently been 'diagnosed' with
poorly developed enamel on some of his teeth (molars and incisors).
He was a keen around-the-clock feeder for over 18 months. Dentist
felt cause was likely to be illness during pregnancy or in very early
postpartum period in baby. I can't recall either, but was relieved
that breastfeeding wasn't blamed for his problems. Thankfully no
decay, but his chances of getting a cavity are 30 times normal !!

Thumb sucking - I have felt a bit guilty about this for ages, since
reading a posting that related thumb sucking to unmet needs at the
breast. Of my three children, the only one to suck a thumb has been
my youngest (just turned 2 years), who has breastfed the longest
and most frequently. She
mainly sucks her thumb when tired or upset/shy, but will often
refuse a feed if it is offered at those times. Don't know how to
explain this !!