From:
Anna Heh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Apr 2000 17:21:35 EDT
Judi,  I think it is great that you are fortunate to see all your
breastfeeding mothers for all the reasons that you stated.  I also agree with
the comments that have been made about a well trained staff so that the LC
(IBCLC) can see the mothers with difficulties.  I wish that someday our staff
will be well trained and that there will be more LC's so the mothers are
getting the best care possible.  That they will be taught by a well trained
staff and that when they would like to see the LC she would be available.
Unfortunately in our hospital we are constantly trying to keep the staff
educated and updated, and with the number of deliveries we have (7300/yr) and
only 3 LC's  we can see the difficult cases first, the ordered consults and
the mothers who request to see us.  At our present  numbers we couldn't see
all the breastfeeding mothers even if we wanted and stayed half the night.
Anna Heh,IBCLC