Date:
Fri, 27 Jan 2006 09:09:08 EST
Hi Ann! If I had a call from a mom asking about the solids and told me what
that Ped had said, I would write a letter to the Ped, saying that I would be
interested in his research that supported  " the baby should be   eating way
more solids, that they should be the
main source of his diet,  that  breastmilk was not as important anymore,
should
not be offered  until after  the baby "eats a meal",  and that the baby
"could
not  take in enough of  this liquid to get calories".
I would then quote studies showing the caloric values of breastmilk. I  would
also ask the mother what symptoms the baby exhibited to warrant concern,
what tests the Ped conducted to show the baby was not "taking in" enough
calories. And explain to her the differences in health care professional  education.
He may not have received any nutrition education in medical  school.
I would explain to him who I am and what I do, and if there is a  problem
with the baby's intake, certainly we would need to work together as  members of
this baby's health care professional team to insure that  this baby's is
receiving optimal nutrition to support his growth and  development.
We don't have to "prove" ourselves, but health care professionals who
present misinformation such be called to account for it. There such be no excuse
any longer for health care professionals who misinform, mistreat their  patients.
What was his plan of action, his referrals to other HCPs, etc? He just let
it go at that?
I think I would be concerned about his lack of professionalism, and
knowledge. He needs to know that "you know".

Barbara Whitehead, BS, IBCLC, RLC
eastern NC