From:
"Glass, Marsha" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Aug 2001 13:02:43 -0500
I wanted to put in my .02 on this discussion about Dr. Snyderman's
interview.  I didn't see the program either (I always watch the competition,
which includes Katie Couric, who did the narration for the Learning to be
Baby Friendly video ;-))  but I did read the piece on their website.  My
reaction was the same as BWC's, which is, why are they setting this up as an
"us against them" type of issue?!   I agree wholeheartedly with Barbara who
said,

"So long as all we do is call each other names and try to make people feel
guilty about their choices, we'll never unite.  That is what keeps us weak"

Who stands to gain in this debate?  Do babies?  Do moms?  Do women or
society in general?  Of course not!  I wrote a response to GMA and basically
that
is what I said.  Most all moms do what they think is best for their babies.
They don't deliberately do things that are harmful.  With what we now know
about the benefits of breastfeeding, why aren't they just putting the word
out instead of promoting conflict (ok, rhetorical question.  We all know the
answer!)?  None of the above-mentioned parties are helped by this approach!
I think, from reading the piece that breastfeeding moms know this, because
they seemed far more tolerant of formula-feeding moms than the reverse. It's
rather like "Methinks thou dost protest too loudly" (hope I
didn't butcher that too much!) the defensive bottle-feeding moms are
defensive because they know, they KNOW, in their heart of hearts or in their
heads or somewhere, that breastfeeding is better for their children, but to
admit that would be to admit that they hadn't done the best thing for them.
That response is understandable.  It is unfortunate that the word is getting
out about how good breastfeeding is for everyone but that some vocal parties
have to make this an adversarial issue among mothers.  The fight is not
against them, but against the companies who make a profit from the
continuation of this bottle-feeding culture.  I wrote a letter to the editor
of our local paper when the article about DHA being added to formula came
out the day before World Breastfeeding Week began and I said that I believe
this is the ultimate feminist issue.  What is the one thing we women can do
that men cannot?     Have babies and breastfeed of course!  So why do we
relegate our uniqueness to just anyone and everyone.  Why do we have to
"level the playing field" (as women are known to do, according to business
consultants) so that we are not supposed to take joy in the one task we
alone can do?  It's a sad thing that many women don't see it this way.  Oh,
and BTW, the letter to the editor did not get published, but then, we are
host to M*** J****** in this state!

Marsha, who is more sad than fuming (of course I just read about it , didn't
actually see the piece) and who wishes we'd (I mean women) all just stop
fighting and take responsibility for parenting our children.