From:
Barbara Latterner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Apr 2001 08:28:26 EDT
I realize this doesn't directly relate to breastfeeding but would like to
know if anyone, besides me, has thoughts on this:  at a recent home visit,
mom puts baby in crib after a long nursing session and I notice as I lean
over crib to say good-bye to baby, that he's being moved around on the
mattress in a somewhat circular motion by a gizmo in the mattress in
accompaniment to whooshing, heartbeat sounds.  Mom sheepishly explains it's
suppose to mimic the womb and make babies smarter.  To which I reply
something along the lines of "sort of a substitute for being in-arms." (what
I didn't say was how poor a substitute it is!; she seemed to already know
this)  My point is, has anyone read anything or studied the effects of these
and similar gizmos on the developing infant brain?  Any concerns re EMF's
(electric magnetic fields from batteries, electricity)?
I've read in the past that NICU's used this type of device sometimes-is this
still true and if so any concerns re use?  Besides bed "vibrators" there are
bouncy seats that vibrate, etc.

Besides the inherent risk of lack of physical contact for baby, anyone know
of others?  I've seen the seats before and always cringe but this bed thing
was a first-and hopefully last.  Your input is appreciated and please respond
off list to me privately as this only indirectly affects breastfeeding (babe
in contraptions is a babe perhaps not being responded to for feeds or
artificially being lulled when eating would be a good idea!)

Barbara Latterner, BSN, RN, IBCLC
Brewster, NY