From:
Leslie Ward <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 May 1999 15:34:59 -0400
Subject:
        Knowing Good and Bad Breastpumps
   Date:
        Mon, 3 May 1999 09:53:18 EDT
   From:

Because of some responses I've received, I'd like to strongly suggest
every
breastfeeding counselor needs to be INTIMATELY familiar with EVERY
breastpump
that is available to mothers that you counsel.  Too many (moms and
counselors) rely on what everyone tells them.

1. Start collecting breastpumps.  Tell everyone you are collecting them.
Mother's who buy useless pumps can often return them and get their money
back, but if they can't, ask them to donate it to you.  I've gotten a
lot
that way and some from yard sales.
2.  You can also write to the breastpump companies and some will
actually
send you sample plumps.  Ask the reps at conferences you attend.  If you
teach breastfeeding or childbirth classes and see a lot of mothers they
frequently will give you samples.  They are hoping you will like and
recommend their pumps.  I have obtained several that way.  You never
know
until you ask.  I was sent 2 small battery pumps, that would sell for
$50.  One quit working the first day we tried it and the second quit by
the
time I had demonstrated it 5 to 10 times.  Now what a disappointment
that
would have been to a mother planning to use it for any reason.
3.  Practice pumping with the pumps you collect.  Use balloons for
breasts
and hold them in the right position so you can tell how it feels to your
hand
to use this pump.
4.  Measure and observe:  the strength of the suck, how long it takes to
achieve a good strong pull, how long does it take for a complete release
of
suction, how many cycles can you pump per minute.  "Take it's pulse"
5.  Do your same test with each of the medical grade pumps so you can
really
compare to pumps that you know are efficient and comfortable.
6.  Sit and watch mothers pump.  Get good at knowing what a good pump is
supposed to do.
7.  Ask a lactating mother you know and trust for her honesty to test
some
pumps for you.  I like to ask mothers who are successful pumping at work
and
have bountiful milk supplies and healthy babies so it is not stressful
them.  They know what a good pump is like and will tell you if it hurts
or
doesn't work well, or is slow.  (I don't do this with used pumps, but
new
sample pumps I obtain, of course sterilize everything)

Once your results are in: THEN you can recommend pumps to mothers.

Nothing helps you understand pumps better than actually having it in
your
hand and pretending to pump for the same amount of time a mom would be
doing
it.  THEN you'll know if it hurts your hand after 2 minutes, or is
ridiculously slow and probably painful.

Good luck everyone,
Jane Bradshaw RN, BSN, IBCLC
Lynchburg, VA