From:
Nancy Mohrbacher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Jan 2008 19:27:06 -0600
Hi all,

As I wrote before, I'm happy to take the heat for the Ameda ad, since I
approved it before it appeared.  It's been interesting for me to read
the various interpretations of the ad.  Some seem willing to accept it
in the spirit in which it was intended (that a good quality pump can
save a mother time over a slow, ineffective pump).  Others read into it
more nefarious meanings.

When I okayed the ad, I took it to mean that a mother at home pumping
for missed feedings would have more time to spend with her baby if her
pump was fast and efficient.

Just to be clear, Ameda hired me as a full-time LC to help women succeed
at breastfeeding, and I have spent countless hours doing just that,
helping mothers by phone and referring mothers to their local LCs (you)
when they need to be seen.  That's also why Ameda asked me to create the
articles on its web site and funded the latch-on video at:

www.ameda.com/latchon

Several have mentioned that they think an ad for a breast pump could be
better worded, but I've not yet been given any specific suggestions. I
would love to hear some ideas of how you think we could do a  better job
in our ads for mothers  Since our goal is to help mothers breastfeed, I
can assure you that the last thing we want to do is run an ad that could
undermine this.  Please send me any suggestions you have and I will pass
them along.

Sincerely,

Nancy Mohrbacher, IBCLC
Chicago suburbs, where it is even colder today.  I don't even want to
think about tomorrow!

 From Susan Burger: