From:
"Jane A. Bradshaw" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Sep 1997 09:14:50 -0400
I had heard that Aloe on the nipples was used as  a traditional native
American method to discourage a toddler or older nursling that the mother
desires TO WEAN.   As Dr. Jack said, it is VERY bitter.   Check 'Mothering
Your Nursing Toddler" by Norma Bumgarner.
I think we should taste test these things ourselves before we DARE to
recommend mothers put them on their nipples.  If the mothers nipples are very
sore, it is doubtful she will get all the Aloe or other topical treatment off
completely before she nurses.  Also suggesting that parents (and
professionals) suck on a bottle nipple or pacifier for 5 minutes and then
their own thumb has helped some to get a better understanding of the
experience the baby has.  Latex especially has a very distinct and strong
flavor.   I think that ought to be an exercise in every class we give.

Jane Bradshaw RN, BSN, IBCLC
Lynchburg, VA