From:
Jeanette Panchula <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Oct 2000 00:14:44 -0500
I've been trying to help a mom long-distance - she lives in Latin America
and there is no LC or LLLL in her area.  She first reported breast pain
with breastfeeding, and after a few e-mails (remember my 13 questions?),
this is what she describes: (translating here)

        The pain is ONLY in the right breast

        It doesn't happen every night (originally she had told me it was
ONLY at night but...) now she says the time of day varies at times.

        It happens 2-3 times a week

        The pain is ALWAYS after a feeding

        Sometimes it does hurt when the baby first latches on, (I had asked
about the timing thinking of referred latch-on pain) but once the baby
starts eating, the pain goes away, and this pain is different from the pain
I'm concerned about.

        When she breastfeeds immediately after feeling the pain, and she is
feeding the baby from the left (unaffected) breast, she feels the let-down
on the right side and the pain intensifies.

        She has had some swelling and some lumps which are relieved and get
smaller with heat and breastfeeding the baby makes them disappear in a day.

        She has had an "ecogram" (Ultrasound?) and no cysts or anything
unusual was found.

        As I did ask her about the quality of the pain - (thinking thrush)
- she said that at times she has seen the baby has a white tongue, and the
pain can get as intense as the sharp pain I had described.

        I also asked about relief with heat (thinking Raynaud's) and she
reports that sometimes the pain  is relieved with heat

        She reports that when she "feels it coming" she takes an Advil, and
it seems to prevent it, but this Satuday she had a great deal of pain at 4
pm, but since then until Monday at noon she had not felt it again.

Any ideas?

Jeanette Panchula, RN, IBCLC
Vacaville, CA