From:
"Andrea C. Tran" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Feb 2007 11:02:43 -0700
I've been working on and off with a mom for 4 1/2 months. She is very
dedicated to breastfeeding but has had lots of challenges, and if
this one can't be solved feels she will have to give it up.

Background: when baby was born wouldn't go to breast and was what we
affectionately call a "wild child", screamed at the breast. One of my
partners scheduled them to see me later in the week. She felt they
needed to be seen by someone experienced and we were booked until
then. Sadly, the reason for this baby's behavior was that he had
suffered a stroke, probably at delivery. He was transferred to
Children's. I came in the day they had an appt. with me thinking they
wouldn't show because I thought they were still at Children's. They
did show up, had been discharged the night before and breastfeeding
was really important so they kept the appt. That boy breastfed like a
champ!

Unfortunately, he had bad reflux and spit up and cried constantly,
but mom persevered. Then he started having blood in his stools. They
eventually were referrred to a GI doc who put her on an elimination
diet. That didn't help. Doc convinced mom to feed one of the
hypoallergenic formulas (which one escaped me now). When mom told the
doc the baby wouldn't take it she suggested putting Splenda in it
(anyone ever heard of this?). It did work. He took the formula and
the blood in the stools stopped. They kept him on the formula for 2
weeks while mom continued the elimination diet. Five days after going
back to the breast the blood started again. Mom has a background in
nutrition so she knows how to read labels and is very careful. The GI
doc or pedi won't prescribe her pancreatic enzymes becasue "there
aren't enough studies".

She really wants to continue breastfeeding but the doc has convinced
her if the blood in the stools continues she needs to quit. Any
suggestions?

Andrea Tran RN, IBCLC
Boulder/Erie, Colorado