Date:
Wed, 14 Apr 1999 07:05:25 EDT
Dear Friends:
        Thanks to Susan for the citations about epidurals. I wish they
weren't 25 years old. Technology has gotten more refined, which is supposed
to minimize impact. Ha! We all see the impact on babies and mothers, but so
far there hasn't been any strong research about infant outcomes. The
strongest epidural research supports an association between increased rates
of operative delivery with epidural. Increased rates of operative delivery
(because of a longer labor) are connected with how early in labor the
epidural is placed.
        Research in the States is as fragmented as the rest of our medical
care. So there is a piece of research that associates epidurals with
operative delivery. And there is another bunch of research associating vacuum
extraction with infant brain damage and death. But no research yet that links
epidural with vacuum with infant brain damage and death. Just like the 20/20
TV show that did a sensationalist piece on the dangers of vacuum but never
mentioned the increased chances of having stuck baby as a consequence of
epidural anesthesia. Dang it! Warmly, Nikki Lee