From:
Barbie Currie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Nov 2001 17:42:54 +0200
Hi Everyone,
     Does anyone have experience of a breast augmentation.   I mother recently spoke to me about poor weightgain in her baby and said that she had a breast augmentation.   She has a scar under her breast and says that the doctor removed her nipple.   I would like to know what the supply of milk was like and did the MER function well enough.   I have read about it in  "Breastfeeding and Human Lactation"    Please e-mail me if possible.                                                                                                                         I read Gail Hertz's post about breastpumps with great interest.   I usually see the hospital patients and the hospital serves a huge area ie down to Maputo in Mocambique and radiates upto 200kms in other directions.   I have decided after reading Gail's post that the patients staying out the the "bush and beyond" should perhaps have a breastpump.   One example - a mother phoned me from 200kms away to say that she had engorged breasts - the dyad had slept through the night - she didn't have a pump - I remembered reading in "Helping Mothers to Breastfeed" by Felicity Savage King, the advice given using hot bottles - relayed the idea onto the Mom who used it with great success.  (She wasn't too keen to hand express)   She said it looked very funny with a chutney bottle on one nipple and a rum bottle on the other.   Perhaps its these mothers that might possibly benefit from having a breastpump.   The other choice they might have is one of those "bicycle horn" pumps living in those remote areas.   I think I'll go for the other option.
Have a good day.
Barbie Currie. IBCLC. Nelspruit, South Africa.