From:
Price Pamela B <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Oct 2004 17:29:50 -0500
Had a mom call the office today, her baby is 7 months old, growing very
well, normal development, eating solids appropriate for age.  Mom states the
pediatrician told her that since she was breastfeeding, her baby needed
fluoride supplements.  She said that friends of hers that use the same
pediatrician but they formula feed, say that they were told to quit
sterilizing the water after 6 months since the baby's need the fluoride in
the water.
This baby as I said is eating solids, mom has been mixing the cereal with
formula and the baby gets 2 ounces of that a day (of course I think that is
a little bit much but she did not ask my opinion about that!)  I did let her
know that she could mix the cereal with breast milk or plain water and no
formula. Not surprisingly she did not know that (her pediatrician's info
apparently didn't include that )  I told her she could mix the cereal in
with fruits/veggies or meats as well.  I also reviewed other ways for baby
to get the added iron they need.  But I could not find anything about
whether a breastfed baby who will not take any liquid by any other means
other than from the breast, will get enough fluoride in her diet.

The info I found from the AAP said that baby's only need fluoride
supplementing if they live in areas where there is a severely low level of
fluoride in the drinking water. Then Hale's 11th edition states that the AAP
no longer recommends supplementing the breastfed infant with oral fluoride.

 But what if the baby is not drinking any water.  Is there enough through
the breast milk?  Is the amount in the cereal enough when the only water in
the cereal is what was used to mix the formula?
Thanks!

Pam Price IBCLC, CBE
Lactation Services Coordinator
Women's Health