From:
Pamela Morrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Feb 2013 13:09:42 +0000
Karleen

Congratulations on writing another fine article!  Although I'm aware
of the storm of protest over use of the word "devastating", I, for
one, approve your courage in telling it like it is when defending the
use of human milk over formula.

Actually, the truth is, I'm a little nervous about our collective
concern about the need to be 100% politically correct, and dare I say
it, even apologist when we write and speak and advocate publicly for
breastfeeding/breastmilk-feeding.  I think there's a world of
difference in the approach we should take on the one hand with
individual mothers struggling with the decision to abandon
breastfeeding, or those who for whatever reason (the 0.1%) who
physically "cannot" lactate, and on the other hand the opportunities
we have in the public arena (ie generally) to
speak/write/strategize/advocate about how to protect, promote and
support breastfeeding.

The former require, IMHO, exquisite empathy, sensitivity, caring and
tact, for humane reasons, and in recognition that the individual
mother does the best she possibly can in her particular, unique
circumstances, for her own individual baby.  I do believe that the
original wisdom of working with one mother at a time, and meeting her
where she's at, can't be improved upon. We could even apply the rule
to one healthworker at a time, or one policy-maker at a time.

However, public, generalized statements about the importance of
breastfeeding, and the "devastating" differences between
breastfeeding and _not_ breastfeeding (formula) need to unambiguously
clear, so that no-one is in any doubt - this is a time to speak
up.  I don't think that, in writings which will be in the public
domain, or in pronouncements which will be repeated or aired or
printed over and over, it is helpful to be so tactful that it becomes
difficult for the average reader/woman in the street to become
confused about our message.  I find it achingly disappointing to see
a TV interview with someone who is one of our known big names put
forward a publicly and deliberately "moderate" point of view in order
not to offend those who so loudly defend mothers' rights to
bottle-feed.   It adds to the general misunderstanding that
formula-feeding really doesn't matter, so why are some of us making
such a fuss about it?  And of course the media love it.  And so do
the very militant formula-feeders.

Years ago, when breastfeeding was under serious threat because of the
move to provide replacement feeding to the babies of HIV+ mothers on
a global scale, a UNICEF person said to me "But you people are only
speaking in whispers".  And sure enough, formula-feeding was so
heavily supported and actively promoted for about a decade, with
truly "devastating" consequences that I wonder now whether
breastfeeding rates will ever revert to what they were before this
initiative was first dreamed up.  Some of us attempted to engage with
those who seemed to be ringing the changes and deliberately
maintained a carefully moderate stance so as not to be labelled
fanatics.  It didn't help.  Thousands of babies died.  If we don't
speak up - who will?

Sure, as I've recently discovered, today's mom's lists and blogs can
be merciless and very public in distorting our words and intentions
out of all proportion, so it's vital for us to be accurate and
scientific.  But do we write and speak for them, or for the health of
babies now and in the future?  In telling it like it is, I think
we're allowed to use the occasionally negative descriptive word to
emphasize a point. In fact, it might be high time we did.  The truth
is that physiologically, nutritionally and psychologically
breastfeeding really _does_ matter, and it might be our very
restraint that perpetuates the myth that it doesn't.  So words like
"devastating" are good!  We shouldn't be intimidated into muting our advocacy.

Pamela Morrison IBCLC
Rustington, England