From:
Mary Alice Tinari <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Apr 1998 21:07:59 -0400
Hi friends,

I represented my hospital at a Baby and Toddler Expo in Ft. Washington,
PA last weekend.  On my break, I strolled around the expo and came
across the Independence Blue Cross booth which had prominently displayed
a selection of Carnation ABM products.  My daughter was with me and she
was the one who noticed it.  (Aren't our kids so much more aware of this
stuff?)  Anyway, I sputtered for a few minutes to my daughter and then
went over to the reps who were smiling behind the booth. I said that I
found it strange that an independent insurance company that ostensibly
supports health practices (and does cover electric pumps for
hospitalized babies) would advertise a specific formula which everyone
knows is NOT healthy.  The young man gave me a spiel about having to
appeal to all moms both breast and bottle feeding (he missed my point)
and then told me that the reason they had Carnation was that Nestle'
(gag gag) gave them a significant discount and coupons which they passed
on to their subscribers and wasn't that nice?  Now you know my
expression was somewhere between horrified and aghast.  I said, "I guess
you arent aware of the practices of Nestle and the vehemence with which
breastfeeding supporters boycott Nestle products and the whole history
of the WHO code...." (OK it was a run on sentence, but I couldn't stop)
The guy was clueless (of course he was about 23 so was a baby during the
1970s) and said he would appreciate more info.

Now I know I can count on all you Philadelphia area, New Jersey and
Delaware Lactnetters to respond, but come one, come all.  I want Mr.
Independence BC to get my point.  I cannot find an email address, but
the snail mail address is:  Independence Blue Cross 1901 Market St.
Philadelphia, PA  19103-1480 Phone:215-241-2400

They have a website but no way to send email there.
Thank you.
Mary Alice Tinari RN, IBCLC

Ps. the expo company donated a large space to Nursing Mothers Advisory
council for a Nursing area so they are not the bad guys.