From:
martha f johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jun 2002 14:39:50 -0500
Hi Jean and lactnet:
Jean, I am going to have to re-read your last reply regarding the nature
of vacuum vis a vis pumps and nipple shields again before I can comment.
Is it possible for you  to summarize?  B/c so far I dont think I get it.
However I would love to get  your feedback on the latest update.

The baby is now 5 weeks old.  Mom is now, after a herculean effort to get
her supply back, able to feed him fully with her own milk.  She pumps and
feeds EBM in Avent bottles.  Cut back from 8 to 6 pumpings a day, gets
about 600-700cc from that.  Baby now weighs over 11 lbs, so his need for
milk is about 27 oz, or 800cc/24 hours.  his wt gain has been good for
the past 3 weeks.

He nurses quite a bit, at least 6-7 long sessions/day, but based on the
above figures, you can see he is not getting much from the breast
directly.  Mom likes having him at breast, but reports her nipples are
getting sore again, not damaged yet like before, but they still are
compressed into a wedge shape and have a white line across the tip when
baby lets go.  I told her to take it easy on the long nursings so we
don't go down the same road we did before (badly damaged nipples).

Baby has been seen and treated twice (craniosacral work) by Elise Hewitt,
a pediatric chiropractor, in Portland.  Mom reported some improvement in
baby's suck after each visit, but feels he relapses quickly into same old
dysfunctional suck.  They will continue to follow up with more
craniosacral work until his suck improves.

Meanwhile, her question, and mine, is:  are there behavioral
interventions we can try to help this baby learn how to suck correctly?
Or will his suck change without further intervention once the cranial
nerves are no longer being impinged on?
Thanks for your help--
Martha Johnson RN IBCLC
Eugene ORegon