From:
Julia Scaletta <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jan 2001 11:07:03 -0500
I posted this to the list for hospital LCs. Sorry for the duplication for
those of you on that list also.

We are having our survey this week :-o and I wanted to let you know how it's
going for me. I know each surveyor focuses on something different, so it may
be different at your hospital. She only asked me 2 questions, what our
breastfeeding rate was and how it compared to the national average. I told
her the numbers and explained that ours is lower than the national average,
but average for NC. I explained it was due to the culture of this area, but
our rate has improved 8% from 5 years ago. She may have asked me more
questions if one of the charts she pulled was on someone who was
breastfeeding. She checked 2 charts thoroughly and asked numerous questions
of the nurses who were caring for those patients. The dietician was there
and she asked her questions about how she was notified of a consult, what
her response time was to that consult and whether they had 24 hour coverage.
Make sure that you check the charts of your patients on the unit the
morning of the survey to make sure everything is up to date, signed, etc.
Someone gave me some great advice before they came and I feel it really
worked. Be confident, don't let them see that you're nervous, and don't run
the other way when you see them coming. They always target the ones who act
nervous or try to get away. I stayed right there the entire time she was
asking the other nurses questions, looking through charts, and touring the
unit. As a matter of fact, I was the first one there to greet her when they
walked in the door. She was really impressed that all the staff stayed right
there while she was conducting the survey. I was not involved with the
patient education portion. We had one nurse manager responsible for
gathering all the education materials and presenting them to the surveyor. I
guess all my materials were OK because I did not hear anything. This is
their last day here and they are not visiting any areas I'm involved with,
so I guess my part is done. (WHEW!!!) I'll update you if anything new pops
up. Good luck to those of you who are being visited soon.
Julia in sunny, breezy Eden, NC