From:
Barbara Berges <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Nov 2003 20:41:44 -0500
My concern is in saying that formula feeding that causes illness.  Illness
is caused by microorganisms.  Except in contaminated batches of formula, the
microorganisms do not get to the baby in the formula.

It is fact that contamination occurs, and those statements can be made and
backed-up with evidence.

The fact that the baby's immune response and resistance to infection is
compromised when he/she is formula fed is also fact.  This, too, can be
supported by evidence.  I am just leary of the wording that says formula
feeding causes illness and death.  I think it is more accurate to say lack
of breastfeeding causes illness and death.

However, maybe it can be shown, for example, that microscopic intestinal
bleeding in the gut is caused by formula feeding.  Then that injury to the
intestine allows other factors to lead to illness in the baby.  Then would
we be able to say that formula feeding causes illness?  I am still trying to
figure all this out for myself, too.

I am afraid that the formula industry will use these statements and
manipulate the issue to confuse the public and discredit breastfeeding
supporters.  I think they will become more desparate as the bf promotion
campaigns gain momentum and may get more nasty and pointed in their attacks.

Barb

P.S.  I sent my letters out today - 5 faxes, followed by mailing the actual
letter, and 2 emails to my US Senators.