Date:
Mon, 11 Jun 2001 23:18:07 EDT
In a message dated 6/11/01 11:26:01 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Dr. Rogan's main research focus has been the effect of pollutant chemicals
> on the
> growth and development of children. He has been involved with three major
> studies.
> The first is a cohort study of North Carolina children exposed to background
> levels of PCBs and DDT. These children were born between 1978 and 1982, and
> were
> followed through puberty.

 I have posted this before.  My first two children were part of the Infant
Feeding Study. I don't think Dr Rogan's study has a good representation of
exclusively BF children. At that time in eastern NC, the bfing rate was
probably less then 10% at hospital discahrge. (In 1991, the bfing rate was
only 11% here in my county which is probably the most progessive county in
eastern NC due to the medical school). Pediatricians had most infants on
cereal by 2 weeks to 3 months of age. My Co leader in LLL and myself were the
only ones in the study that we knew of that were exclusively BFing.
Especially in 1978 and 1980!  We were a pair of radicals!!!
I don't know now where I filed the original study ( we all received a copy)
but I think I remember calling him to ask what was his definition of bfing.
He said something about it being self reported by the mothers.
I do also remember that we went in once a month to provide milk samples, and
report what we had eaten that month. How many times a week we ate fish, drank
milk etc.  Really, like a new mother would remember that after a month. I was
lucky to remember my phone number!!
We were given our blood results--levels of DDT, PCB, PBB,etc. I'll have to
try to find that.

Barbara Whitehead, IBCLC
Eastern NC