Date:
Mon, 25 Dec 2006 15:47:34 -0600
I just visited a homebirth family whose baby was born last night.  The
mother-in-law showed up when the baby was all of 16 hours old and has
been parked in the living room for the last four hours.  The mom was so
glad to be able to retreat to the bedroom when I arrived, and I bought
her a few hours for a nap when I left.  Her family is expected to
arrive in another hour and plans to TAKE THEM OUT TO DINNER.  I went
ahead and had a fit when she told me, to help legitimate her feelings.
Baby is going to need some quiet time to learn to open wider and deal
with a short nipple and it isn't going to happen in that atmosphere.

My dh says it's because the medical model considers pregnancy a
disease, so now she is "cured" and since she isn't stuck in the
hospital she should be able to be out and about immediately.  I hadn't
thought of it that way before.

Lynn in MO