From:
william zempsky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Apr 1998 21:16:08 -0400
I'm searching for info. re: any possible link between breastfeeding and
elevated liver enzymes and elevated alk phos (w/normal bili).  I was
recently contacted by a woman who was denied life insurance as the blood
work required by the insurance co. showed her to have these abnormal lab
values.  She then went on to have a normal abdominal ultrasound (liver
appeared "normal").  She questioned her internist about possible links
between lactation and elevated liver enzymes:  the reply was that "there are
a couple of studies in not-so-well-thought-of journals" that present a
possible link, but that in his mind, there was no connection.  To my
knowledge, there is no connection and it seems that she should continue
breastfeeding while her internist continues to evaluate her for possible
liver disease.  1)  Any thoughts on this? 2)  Is anyone aware of the studies
that her internist was referring to?  Thanks!
janna zempsky, MSN, CPNP, IBCLC