From:
Karen Gromada <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Mar 2015 23:12:13 -0400
Hi Mary-Jane ~

I think this would be an "it depends." How many weeks gestation were babies at birth and how many at (anticipated) discharge - will they be on any supplementary micronutrients? Has there been an in-depth assessment of milk transfer during breastfeeding? It can be particularly difficult to monitor each baby's breastfeeding when feeding both at once, so wondering whether the neither seeming to require complementary EBM after breastfeeding is the only way milk transfer is being assessed? Is this a first-time mother or has she breastfed a prior single infant? Is there a plan in place for monitoring breastfeeding "outcomes" for each baby, e.g. adequate frequency of feeding, outputs, weight gain? (Simple check-list charts are really helpful to ensure both are doing well once home with more breastfeeding.) Will mom have help for household tasks so she is free to breastfeed, breastfeed, breastfeed?!? (Anticipatory guidance needs to include discussion of the increased number of feedings when transitioning to full direct breastfeeding - times 2! The thought and reality of breastfeeding two teeny littles about 10-12x/24 hours can be quite different!)

What are the neonatologists saying - and why? I really do not get when moms are told to breastfeed discharged premies on a very limited basis (1-2x/24 hours) when a premie can consistently latch deeply and suckle actively to transfer adequate milk, but I think premies must be watched closely for awhile. The need for careful monitoring doubles (or triples) for multiples, because it is more difficult to keep track of each baby when home and breastfeeding seems constant, parental sleep deprivation must be integrated with care, etc.

If this mom is on FB, please let her know there are a couple of terrific (closed) groups for mothers breastfeeding multiple-birth infants:
1. La Leche League for Moms of Twins/Multiples
2. Naturally Parenting Twins 2.0

I hope the transition home goes as smoothly as possible when twice the usual number of babies is involved!

Karen Gromada
(author, Mothering Multiples: Breastfeeding and Caring for Twins or More)